Homemade Dinner Rolls / Pav Buns

Dinner Rolls

I’m all smiles.......  Coz.. I got it perfect this time..... Yaay..... I baked it just the way I wished,   hoped   and   prayed for .....   If I thought that the success of a bread bake solely depended on the yeast factor, I was blatantly proved wrong....  after I baked these....  thanks to my baker friend....    Though by far I have not had any mishaps with the yeast fella’ and all my attempts have resulted in success stories, I some how always fear it.... and always wait for the worst to happen....
Dinner Rolls - Pav Buns
There’s this quaint bakery shop on the way home from office and I’m a regular customer there so the bakery shop owner who also happens to be a baker himself became a good friend.....   When my friend and I stopped there to purchase  breads we got talking and she mentioned about these buns that she saw in my space and how great it turned out for her when she tried...... I started complaining how my buns fail to get that nice golden hue on top.... “May be it is the yeast”, she said.... but I always check and proof the yeast before I use it..... That’s when the baker intervened and asked me the recipe I followed. I told him..... and he told that the method was good but the problem should be with the flour.... I was like “The Flour”..... Now what   “I use all purpose flour, what’s wrong with that?”  But, how old is it ???, he returned.......   “Why don’t you try out with fresh flour and find out the difference for yourself? 
I normally buy flour in bulk, say 5 kgs and store it in a bin. As I use it very rarely except in baking I couldn't remember the last time I bought and emptied it in the bin. There happens to be a shop nearby that sells on whole sale and I have seen a lot of guys running parotta stalls buying flour from there. So armed with a kg of just bought flour I set about my mission the next day itself and gals it was a revelation indeed. He was so soooooo.......    right. I could feel the difference while kneading it. It was so springy to the touch and usually I place it in one particular vessel for doubling in size. Even after 1 hour the flour would only reach half the container.

But this time though after placing the dough in the vessel, covered it with a damp cloth and I went about my work and when I accidentally looked at it I could see the dough pushing against the cloth. When I opened the cloth I was taken aback to find that the vessel is full. There is no space for the dough to raise or is it rise.....  and it is only just 20 min after I placed it for resting...  I was undoubtedly elated but still I can feel happy only at the end of the baking right as I get to find out the result.


They turned out great and I made out the oh.... so.... perfect ones so far..... I guess my little one cannot tease me when I make these buns any more as he had nick named it “Idli Buns” as that’s how it resembled so far. Thanks to the Baker..... when I took him one the next day to show him the result, I guess he was the one more happier than me....


Homemade Dinner Rolls / Indian Pav Buns

Source: About.com
(Print this Recipe)

You’ll need:


Method:

Heat milk either on a stove or in a microwave and add the butter to it. Keep aside. In a mixing bowl add yeast and pour warm water over it. Add sugar, salt and egg (if using) to this. Give it a good mix. Add 1 cup of flour to the mixture and the milk-butter solution and start mixing with a spatula.

Add the remaining 2 cups of flour one cup after the other while mixing to make a dough. It will be very sticky. Now add the remaining ½ cup flour little by little sprinkling over the dough while working with your hand.

Punch the dough with your fist and it will spread. Fold it to the center and again punch it. Follow this method and keep at it for 6-7 min. Grease your hands with flour to make your work easy. The dough will actually spring back to your touch at this stage and it will be firm yet pliant and soft.

Grease a bowl with oil and place the dough in it. Coat your palm with oil and apply all over the dough’s surface. Close the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs.

The dough need to double in size. After the resting time punch the dough to let the air out. Pat the dough by your hands on a work surface greased with flour. Cut into squares and work each square into a roll tucking the edges under the surface.

Place these shaped rolls on a greased baking tray and let it again rest for 30 to 45 min in a warm place. You can see see the balls enlarging once again.

Pre heat the oven to 180 Deg C. Brush milk over the rolls and sprinkle white sesame seeds over them (optional) before slipping them into the oven and bake for 20-25 min.

Enjoy the oven fresh rolls with some butter or jam or tomato sauce.

ko 034

My Children always have a way of surprising me with their choices when it comes to food. Both of them enjoyed these with the Ginger Tomato Chutney and I must say that it was a good choice too as it was tangy yet sharp in taste.

Notes:


This is off to my event Baked Goodies, Reva’s CWF: Sesame Seeds and to Srav’s Holiday Baking

Labels: , , , ,