Ginger Tomato Chutney

Ginger Tomato Chutney

I have an ardent fan of idlis at home. None other than my Hubby. Idli batter is something that is ever present in my fridge throughout the day of the year. He insists on having them both for breakfast and dinner.

He also orders the same no matter to which ever restaurant he visits. He loves the idlis of the famous Hotel Saravana Bhavan. Bread and oatmeal are a big no as an option for breakfast to him. In fact he has never had it till this day.



The job of making the same old idlis more interesting of course falls on my head. I simply cannot keep on making the same old chutneys which would only bore the kids. This chutney just happened by when I ran out of onions.

My kids  loved it so much that they spread this chutney onto the breads for their evening snacks and to the rotis during dinner. This has become a good option for me to feed the kids ginger which when I give them as plain ginger chutney they refuse.


Ginger Tomato Chutney

(Print this Recipe)

You’ll need:



Method:

Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a kadai. Add urad dal and when it gets roasted add the dry red chillies and roast for a minute. Keep aside.

Add peeled ginger pieces and sauté till the ginger shrinks a bit and becomes soft. Keep aside.

Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté with a pinch of salt till it shrinks and becomes soft too. Let it cool. Grind everything together with salt using little water to a fine paste.

Heat the remaining oil in the same kadai. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters add the ground chutney to the tempering and cook for a minute and transfer to the serving bowl.

Serve with steaming soft idlis, crispy dosas or flaky rotis.


Notes:

This is off to Ammu's Cooking without Onion and Garlic event.

Labels: , ,