Whoever said that Soups are to be only enjoyed steaming hot and that too on a cold wintry day… This soup begs to differ on all fronts and the best thing is that this soup needs no cooking at all. Gazpacho is a Spanish style soup that is basically served cold/chilled, made from tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegetables along with spices. This watermelon Gazpacho is an adapted version of the traditional recipe but I used watermelon in the place of tomatoes and trust me it tasted just bliss during the noon time when the sun was beating down relentlessly.
We, the Avant Garde Cookies
, chose soups for this month to rustle up and oh boy I’m so glad that I chose this, else I would have used the watermelon that hubby brought by making Watermelon Cooler
or would have eaten it just raw.
You can also call this as Watermelon Punch, as unlike fruit juices, a fruit based punch is a bit spicy and does not taste sweet but nothing less of making a good thirst quencher.
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: Nil | Serves: 2-3
- Watermelon, chopped – 2 cups
- Cucumber, small – 1
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Green chili / Jalapeno, deseeded – 1 (optional)
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Deseed the watermelon and cut them into large chunks. Further chop few big chunks into fine pieces and keep it aside.
2. Scrape the skin of the cucumber, deseed and cut them into large chunks as well.
3. In a blender, place the cucumber, large watermelon chunks, Jalapeno (if using), salt, oil and ground pepper and liquidize / blend till frothy.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl and mix in the finely chopped watermelon pieces and refrigerate for at least an hour or two.
5. Serve chilled in individual serving bowls.
1. I did not add the Jalapeno, as I felt that the heat of the ground black pepper itself was perfect.
2. Use pre cut, chilled watermelon cubes and cucumber if you want to serve it immediately.
3. You can also take the short cut of using use 4-5 ice cubes while blending if you do not have the time to chill the soup. But the soup would be a bit thin in consistency.