Onion Oothappam

Onion Oothappam

This is one of my favorite Breakfasts and my children too....    Instead of the same old dosas that we make, this colorful version never fails with the kids.....     This was the one I tried too when I wanted to make Arjun take some interest in eating breakfast and not skip it...    This is an easy breezy one to make and a perfect way to use any left over batter sitting in the fridge...  These are our own south Indian savory pancakes... Cute, Aren’t they????



This will also be first entry to the Bake Along, themed Pancakes / Crepes for this week !!!!    I wanted to make something fancy for my debut but with so many guests at home it was quite impossible. So I had to keep it simple and go with the traditional one as I did not want to Skip this one.....   I’m giving below the usual way of making it and also my version of making these....  Enjoy....


Onion Oothappam

(Print this Recipe)

You’ll need:




Method:

The usual one:-
1. Chop the onion, tomatoes and green chili finely. In a bowl mix these together with your hands slightly crushing so that the onions are well separated and add the chopped coriander too.  Add a pinch of salt and toss well.

2. Heat a tawa and grease it with oil. Pour a ladle of batter and gently spread it to 3 or 4 inch Diameter. Sprinkle the mixed vegetables all over on top.

3. Drizzle oil around the sides and cook on low flame. When cooked flip it over and cook on the other side too and when done remove on a plate and serve hot.

My Version:-
Follow the steps of 1 and 2 and after drizzling with either oil or ghee, cover with a lid. Once cooked flip it over and again cover with the lid and cook till done. Transfer to the serving plate and serve hot with coconut chutney or Ginger tomato chutney.

The difference: Both the methods are good. In the former one the onion remains crunchy and the Oothappam is crisp and it is a treat if you like the onion smell very much in your mouth after wards. But there remains the problem of the Oothappam sticking to the tawa while removing after you flip it. The onion and tomatoes tend to stick to the tawa and you have to use more oil to avoid it.

In my version, the Oothappam is soft, the onions are cooked soft and gives out a sweet taste. Also there is no problem of sticking to the tawa at all. It comes out of the tawa like a dream. Do try it out and tell me which one you like the best.



Notes:


Linking this to Bake Along # 14

Labels: ,