Verkadalai Chutney ~ Peanut / Ground nut Chutney

Before my marriage I never used to like this chutney. On the days Amma made this chutney I would eat idli along with either idli milagai podi or sambar. In my mind I guess I could never associate peanut with chutneys. After my marriage the story went completely different. Both my in- laws and my hubby loved it simply and they usually make two chutneys for breakfast or dinner and one would obviously be groundnut chutney.

So I started adjusting my palate to this and started liking it. Amma used to make fun of me and ask me where my dislike for verkadali chutney disappeared. Here is the recipe of my MIL’s version. Very simple yet very tasty.

Verkadalai Chutney
You'll Need:
Roasted Groundnuts – 2 handfuls
Whole red chillies – 5 to 6
Tamarind – ¼ small lemon size
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp

Method:
In a kadai heat ½ tsp oil and roast the whole red chillies. In a mixer grind together the ground nut, roasted red chillies, tamarind, grated coconut along with salt to chutney consistency using water.

In the same kadai, heat the other ½ tsp of oil and temper it with mustard seeds and add it to the chutney.

Though this chutney tastes well with idli and dosas, my whole family likes to eat it as a side dish along with Hot puris. It tastes yummy. Do try it out.


Labels: ,