Capsicum Zunka is famous Maharashtrian Subji (dry curry) that is basically prepared with dry roasted besan (Chick pea flour) and tossed with other dry spices. It is very flavorsome and is very apt to pack for lunch boxes as it goes well with both rice and chapathis. I have always known this as "Capsicum Senagapindi curry or fry" as its made my mother often as she had learned when she lived in Hyderabad for a while after her marriage. "Besan" is called as “Senagapindi” in Telugu and "Kadalai Maavu" in Tamil. It takes very little time and spices to prepare this very quick, absolutely mouthwatering and flavorful side dish with capsicum as its one vegetable that is most loved by all at home.
And its been more than 10 days since my last post. I believe I was a bit burned out and needed some “Me time” to rest and recuperate despite being nothing wrong with me. The monotonous routine took a toll on my mood making me less concentrative which made me take this unplanned break. I simply unplugged the laptop and put it away in a shelf. ya…. it was that bad. And I guess this break did do some good for me and now I back to business as usual with more zest.
Capsicum Zunka Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 4
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Side dish
- Capsicum, large – 2
- Besan (chickpea flour) – 3 tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Green chilies - 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida (hing) – 2 pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cube the capsicum and keep aside. Chop the onions and green chilies finely. Smash the garlic pods with the skin and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the besan over low flame till the aroma arises. Keep roasting continuously and make sure that the color does not change. This should take 2-3 mins. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the same pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and when it crackles, add cumin seeds and asafetida and cook for 10 seconds.
- Now add finely chopped onion, green chilies, garlic, curry leaves and sauté over medium flame till the onions translucent.
- Now add the cubed capsicum, salt and cook for 5-6 mins till the capsicum wilts and gets partly cooked.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, mix well and cook for 5 more mins till the capsicum gets cooked completely.
- Now sprinkle 1 tbsp of roasted besan all over the curry and mix well. Then gradually sprinkle the rest of the gram flour while mixing the curry well.
- Cover the pan partly with a lid and cook the curry over medium flame for 5 more mins.
- Remove from fire, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with either rice or chapathis.
- Take time and keep patience while roasting the gram flour. Do it over low flame and make sure not to change the color or burn it. The flour needs to be roasted properly. Roast till you get the aroma of the flour.
- Do not dump the entire roasted flour while adding to the curry. If you do so, big lumps will form. So sprinkle 1 tbsp at a time and make sure the first tbsp of flour is mixed thoroughly before adding the rest of the flour.
- Adjust the green chilies and chili powder according to your spice level.
Technorati Tags: Capsicum recipes,capsicum zunka recipe,capsicum curry with besan,besanwali shimla mirch,capsicum subji with besan,capsicum besan recipe,capsicum senagapindi curry,bell pepper zunka,capsicum besan ki subzi,bell pepper besan curry,vegan recipes,gluten free recipes,side dish recipes with capsicum,side dish for chapathis or rotis,side dish for rice,capsicum with besan
Labels: Gluten Free, Side Dishes - Chappatis / Rotis, Side Dishes - Rice, Vegan Recipes, Vegetable: Capsicum