Aloo Chole or Aloo Chana Curry recipe is a Punjabi dish that is served as an accompaniment with Indian flatbreads like chapathis, naans and especially bhaturas. It is made with potatoes and chickpeas (white chana / Garbanzo beans) in an onion and tomato based gravy along with spices. Aloo chana gives the best of both chana and potatoes in one single dish. Its spicy, aromatic and lip smacking comfort food hands down.
I make it a point to cook chana at least thrice a week as it is rich in protein and is good for growing kids. My kids not only eat this as a side dish to chapathis but they love to have it as a chaat. I just drizzle some dates tamarind chutney
over the channa and sprinkle some finely chopped onions and coriander leaves and they simply gorge on it. You cannot expect to have a more jhatpat chaat than this one.
Aloo Chana Masala or Aloo Chole Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 4
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Side Dish
- White Kabuli Chana (Chickpeas) – 1 cup
- Potatoes (Aloo), medium – 3
- Dry mango – 4 inch piece *(See Notes)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana Masala powder – 1-1/2 tbsp
- Onion, medium – 1
- Tomatoes, medium – 2
- Green chilies – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Soak chickpeas in enough water overnight. The next day discard the soaked water and rinse well. Pressure cook in enough water with a pinch of salt till soft. Drain the water (stock). Do not discard the water as we are going to use it.
- Pressure potatoes till soft. Peel the skin and either cube them or quarter them.
- Chop the onion and tomatoes finely. Slit the green chilies. Grate the ginger.
- Soak the dry mango piece in 1/8 cup hot water and let it rest for 10 minutes. Grind to a paste using little more water if needed and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin seeds and when it starts to sizzle, add grated ginger, green chilies and onions. Sauté over medium flame till it turns translucent.
- Add the ground dry mango paste, cooked chana (chickpeas) and about 1/2 cup of water (stock) used for cooking the beans, salt and mix well.
- Let it cook over low flame for 2-3 minutes. Now add tomatoes. red chili powder, chana masala powder, turmeric powder, mix well and close with a lid and let it cook for 4-5 mins over low flame.
- Now add potatoes and at this stage if the masala is dry then add 1/2 cup of chana stock or water and mix well. Once again close with a lid and let it cook over medium – low flame for another 3-4 mins till the curry comes together.
- Take off stove and transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with ginger juliennes.
- Serve hot with chapathis, rotis, puri or naans.
- If you do not have dry mango pieces (raw mango vathal) then mix 2 – 3 tsp of amchur powder in little water. You can also grind dry pomegranate and use it instead.
- I normally keep aside 3-4 cubes of potato aside. I crumble or mash them well and it along with the cubed potatoes. This gives the gravy some consistency.
- You can either make this into a dry curry recipe or as a gravy. The choice is yours.
Technorati Tags: aloo chana masala recipe
,aloo chana masala curry
,aloo channa recipe
,how to make aloo chana curry
,aloo chole recipe
,punjabi aloo chole
,potato and chickpeas curry recipe
,aloo channa curry recipe
,gluten free recipes
,protein rich recpes
,side dish for chapathis rotis
Labels: Gluten Free, Side Dishes - Chappatis / Rotis, Vegan Recipes