Chilli Idli makes an awesome lunch box recipe for kids. Chilli idli fry is an Indo Chinese style of cooking up the left over idlis if you have at home. Sometimes I make idlis fresh and make this for my kids lunch box. It’s a dry preparation and does not involve any deep frying, so it will not become greasy and mushy when you pack for the kids. The idlis will hold their shape very well despite cooking in the sauces. You can also have this for your Breakfast or Dinner
as it will not be very heavy on your stomach or prepare this for the evening tiffin
My kids do not prefer eating idlis as it is when I pack them with a chutney. So apart from making Idli Upma
, I make this for them. I do recommend that you check out the idli upma recipe as well as it also stays soft and fluffy till lunch time when packed in the box.
- Use salt wisely. Both the idlis and the sauces already have salt in them.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste buds. We use green chilies, green chili sauce and red chili powder here. So omit anything if you do not want the dish to be very hot.
- Instead of shallow frying the idli pieces on a tawa, you can also grill them in an over. But you have to keep turning them every 1 or 2 minute for all the sides to get grilled uniformly.
- You can either make idlis fresh or use the left overs from the day before.
- I find that the left over idlis that were kept in the fridge gets shallow fried or grilled easily as its able to hold its shape well.
Technorati Tags: chilli idli recipe
,chilli idli indian recipe
,chinese chili idli recipe
,how to make chilli idli recipe
,left over idli recipes
,what to do with left over idlis
,chilli idli fry recipe
,indo chinese chilli idli
,lunch box recipes for kids
,gluten free recipes
Labels: Breakfast Recipes, Gluten Free, Lunch Box Recipes, Snacks, Vegan Recipes