Thengai payasam is a traditional kheer made at home especially in the month of Purattasi on any one of the Saturdays as a neivedhyam (prasadham). This kheer is rich and so full of fresh coconut flavor. It is a kheer that you have to drink right from the cup and cannot be eaten with a spoon. I made this for the neivedhyam of the last Saturday of the month. Mostly, in my household the prasad has to be jaggery based dish instead of sugar based. So this suits perfectly as it is very quick and easy to make.
Thengai Arisi Payasam Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Desserts
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 2 to 3 tbsp *(see Notes)
- Grated jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom – 2
- Milk – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Pacha karpooram (edible camphor) – 1 pinch (optional)
- Cashew nuts, halved – 10
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 tsp
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- In a mixer grinder grind together soaked rice, grated coconut and cardamom to a fine paste using little water.
- Heat 1 cup water in a pan. Add the ground paste to the water and let it come to a boil over low flame. Stir in between to avoid the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add grated jaggery and cook till it completely dissolves and for 3 more minutes. Meanwhile the payasam will start to thicken as well.
- Heat another pan with ghee. Add the halved cashew nuts and roast till golden brown. Pour this over the payasam.
- Switch off flame and add crushed pacha karpooram, if using, milk and mix well.
- Serve either warm or cold.
- If you want to make the payasam quickly or have no time to soak the rice, use 2 tbsp rice flour instead of rice and grind it along with the coconut and proceed with the recipe.
- You can also add 2 tbsp of roughly mashed cooked rice to the kheer if you want to bite into something while drinking the kheer.
- Increase the jaggery to 1 cup if you want more sweet.
- Adjust the quantity of the milk you add in the end according to the consistency you prefer.
- Add milk only after you switch off the flame else the payasam might curdle.
Technorati Tags: thengai payasam recipe
,thengai arisi payasam
,fresh coconut recipes
,quick payasam recipes
,kobbari payasam recipe
,payasam using jaggery
,easy payasam recipes
Labels: Desserts, Gluten Free, Neiveidhyam, Payasam / Kheer Varieties