Pachai Payaru is nothing but good old Mung Beans aka Green Gram and as also Paasi Payaru in Tamil. Here is a sundal recipe using just 4 ingredients that are already available in your pantry. Though it is technically a sundal recipe, it is actually known by Inippu payaru puttu
in my place that is served as a breakfast
. They also make this for girls who attain puberty as this is rich in protein and Iron. It is not only a very filling one but is very quick to make also. Unlike the other sundal varieties
, this one is sweet as jaggery is used. It is very often made by my grandmother on days when she fasts (keeps vrat) like krithigai, amavaasai and on sankatahara chaturthi.
Pachai Payaru Sweet Sundal Recipe
Prep time: 8 Hours | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Snacks
- Pachai Payaru (Paasi Payaru/Mung Beans) – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery (vellam), grated - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – 2 pinch
- Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Pick and wash Pachai Payaru (Green Gram) and soak in plenty of water overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Discard the water used for soaking, rinse well. Place the payaru in a pressure cooker, add enough water, salt and pressure cook on high flame for 1 whistle. You can also cook this in an open vessel. Drain the water completely and keep aside.
- In a pan add grated jaggery and 2 tbsp water and let it dissolve completely. Add cardamom powder and let the syrup come to a boil.
- Add the cooked mung beans and using a fork, mix well so that the syrup coats the beans well.
- Add the grated coconut, mix once more and take the pan off the stove.
- Serve hot.
- We prefer it a bit mushy, hence I cook it in the pressure cooker. If you want it to be whole and not mushy, cook the beans in an open vessel but you do have to keep checking repeatedly for the doneness.
- I get good quality jaggery at my place (finally), so I did not filter the syrup. But please do so if you are in doubt about the quality of the jaggery.
- If you are feeding it to the kids, you can add a generous dollop of ghee before serving.
Technorati Tags: pachai payaru vella sundal
,paasi payaru sweet sundal
,green gram sweet sundal
,mung beans sweet sundal
,easy navarathri sundal recipes
,how to make pachai payaru sweet sundal
,prepare sweet sundal
,protein rich recipes
,quick breakfast recipes
Labels: Breakfast Recipes, Dal Recipes, Gluten Free, Navratri / Dussehra Recipes, Sundal Varieties, Vegan Recipes