This is definitely the most easiest apple
pie you could ever imagine to make with a no bake pie crust that is very low in butter unlike the other baked pie crusts and what more, it can be made a day in advance when you are entertaining guests or a healthy dessert
that will be waiting in the fridge for you just in case you wish to have one at any time of the day. The aroma is to die for because of the spices added and an elegant dessert that you can enjoy without an iota of guilt.
When we the Avant Garde Cookies
decided to try out our hands in Pies and Tarts for this month, I wanted to make a savory one but the kids wanted a sweet one and according to them, they would be happy if I made the Chocolate Pudding Pie
again but in truth it was so buttery and the I knew the guilt would be difficult to handle if I bake it once again. So made a pie crust that simply melted in the mouth when had along with fruit and spices.
French Apple No Bake Pie Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Setting time: 3 hours | Makes: One 8" Pie
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Category: Snacks
For the Streusel topping:
- Apples – 4
- Digestive Biscuits – 20 to 25 Nos
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter, melted – 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Butter, melted – 2 tbsp
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Break the biscuits and process them in a food processor / mixie till it is reduced to a powder. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the melted butter and mix well. Transfer to a spring form pan and press gently with your fingers to cover the entire pan. Let it set in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin of the apples and chop them fine.
- Heat a pan, add the chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon powder and cook over low flame for 7-10 minutes till the apples soften and caramelizes to a light brown color.
- Take off stove, add in nutmeg powder, chopped walnuts, raisins, mix well. Take the set pie crust out of the fridge and pour the apple mixture all over the pie base. Spread evenly.
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the streusel topping and sprinkle all over the apple mixture.
- Once again let it set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight preferably.
- Cut, slice and serve the pie either with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
- I used plain marie biscuits for the base.
- Instead of chopping the apples, you can also slice them thinly and after cooking, arrange them in a beautiful pattern all around the pie base.
Labels: Avant Garde Cookies, Desserts, Fruit: Apple