Chick peas (Channa) is a favorite at home. Any dish made with it gets over without a murmur or protest from the kids. I made this salad purely with Indian flavors that are already available in the pantry. But it does have the usual ingredients like tomato, cucumber etc., The kids had been taking this healthy salad to school to gorge on during their snack time for the past 2 weeks. As it is easy and quick to make, it eases the morning madness as well. This salad is also apt to have for lunch as it is very filling.
Chickpeas Corn Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 2 mins | Serves: 3
Cuisine: Continental | Category: Salads
- Chick peas (Garbanzo Beans/Kondakadalai), cooked – 1/2 cup
- Sweet Corn nibblets – 1/4 cup
- Cucumber, chopped - 1/4 cup
- Tomato, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
- Black Salt – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Heat cumin seeds in a small skillet and roast over low flame tossing it continuously for its flavor to release. Let it become brown. Take it off the stove and let it cool. Grind to a powder in a mixer jar and keep aside.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, mix together oil, lemon juice, black salt, salt, roasted cumin powder and whisk well.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cooked chick peas, corn nibblets, tomato and cucumber. Add the dressing to the bowl and toss well.
- Serve immediately or you can also serve it chilled.
- You can microwave the corn nibblets for 2-3 minutes if you do not wish to eat it raw.
- Make sure you deseed the tomatoes, else the seeds will make the salad mushy.
- If you have store bought cumin powder, then roast it over low flame to release its flavor.
- The black salt will give a tangy taste to the salad. You can also add chat masala powder if you have in the pantry.
Labels: Dal Recipes, Palooza In A Pan, Salads/Raithas