The Word “Agua Fresca” means “Fresh Water” in Spanish and Watermelon Agua Fresca is a refreshing popular drink served throughout Mexico. As it is neither sweet and nor too heavy it is a perfect drink to quench your thirst especially during Summer. As Watermelons have 99% water content what better way to enjoy summer with this fruit to replace the salts we lose by sweating. This simple fruity drink can be made in just minutes that is apt for kids party and outings. It can also be made with all sorts of fruits.
Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: Nil | Makes: 2 Glasses
Cuisine: Mexican | Category: Beverages
- Watermelon, deseeded and cubed – 3 cups
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice – juice of 1 lemon
- Water – 1 cup
- Ice cubes – To serve
- Mint Springs – To Serve (optional)
- In a food processor or a blender, add the cubed watermelon pieces, sugar, water and blend well.
- Push the ice cubes via the top inlet while the processor is still running. When done, pour the entire ingredients through a strainer into a pitcher.
- Stir in Lemon Juice. Pour into glasses and serve with more ice cubes and mint springs.
- If you prefer you can also add a dash of fresh ginger while grinding and discard it later.
- Instead of discarding the pulp, you can drink that also like I did. It tastes like a thick chilled smoothie.
- You can also use honey instead sugar, if so add it along with the lemon juice at the end.
Labels: Drinks, Fruit Juices, Fruit: Watermelon