I’m a Lacto Vegetarian. Before you start thinking out loud, a lacto vegetarian diet includes
all sorts of dairy products like milk, yogurt, butter, cheese, cream but excludes
eggs. My Doc has been after me for a long time to include eggs
in my diet, but for which I have yet to develop an appetite for. Recently I have started to eat eggs in the form of baked goodies
and yes earlier I used to enjoy only the eggless bakes
. I had always thought that both brownies
and blondies are one and the same with some differences of which I never showed an interest to find out. I was not entirely wrong also. while the brownies get the intense flavor from the chocolate used in them, the blondies get their flavor from the brown sugar that is used in them to bake.
For this week’s Avant Garde Cookies
it was time for blog hop and I chose this Butterscotch blondies
from Anu’s space, as I had never baked blondies before. I had a lot of kids at home and I was sure that they would really love them and it was also easy for me to pack them as we all went for a short trip. They all had a great time munching on them while travelling and it was also mess free for the elders to clean them up later. I also referred to Simply Recipes.
|Butterscotch Blondies Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 45 mins | Makes: 20 squares
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Butter, melted – 1 cup
- Brown sugar, packed – 2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Butter scotch chips – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
1. Grease a square pan (10x10) and preheat the oven at 180 C (350 F).
2. Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder and keep aside. In a small bowl, break the eggs and lightly beat with a fork and keep aside.
3. In a bowl whisk together melted butter and sugar. Add in beaten eggs, vanilla and whisk once more. I used a balloon whisk for mixing.
4. Add in the dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula. Stir in butter scotch chips and transfer the contents to the greased pan.
5. Spread evenly with a spatula and tap the pan on the kitchen counter gently to level out further.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Let it cool in the pan. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
1. You can replace 1/2 of brown sugar with regular sugar.
2. You can also add chocolate chips and chopped walnuts along with butter scotch chips.
3. Beat the eggs only lightly till the yolk and white combine and not till frothy.
4. You can either halve the recipe or double the recipe very easily but adjust the baking time accordingly and use a correct sized pan accordingly too.