I hate coffee. Yes, you heard it right. I’m a tea person and I just can’t stand the smell of strong brewing coffee at all. My native being Kumbakonam, which is known for its aromatic and strong “Degee Kaapi” (Filter coffee), many of my friends and relatives just cannot understand my hatred for the beverage. Earlier whenever I visited a relative’s home and when offered coffee, I used to gulp it down without turning down their offer as I did not wanted to offend their hospitality only to end up nursing a migraine but now-a-days I don’t bother explaining myself.
However, my better half is a coffee lover, more of an addict, I could say and can survive an entire day on just coffee alone. So when Jayanthy
gave me the secret ingredient as coffee for our Hush Hush week of Avant Garde Cookies
, I was quite sure it would please Hubby immensely, if I made something for him specially. I adapted these muffins from the Basic Muffins recipe
and added lots of cocoa to reduce the strong flavor of the coffee so that I would not end up with a migraine and replaced milk with yogurt. The result was such a spongy muffin that went to a higher level with the glaze on top or at least that is what the coffee lovers at home told me.
Mocha Choco Muffins
Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 30 mins | Makes: 12
For the glaze:
1. Preheat the oven at 180 Degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tray with paper liners and keep it ready.
2. In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Add chocolate chips, whisk once again and keep aside.
3. In another bowl beat together eggs, oil, yogurt, vanilla essence, coffee until incorporated.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the egg mixture (liquid ingredients) into it and mix gently till you do not see any dry flour. Do not over mix.
5. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins till 3/4th and bake for 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Let it cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile whisk together both the coffee and icing sugar for the glaze and pour on top of the muffins, drizzle and let it set.
7. Enjoy with your favorite cuppa!
1. If you want to store them or freeze them, do so without the glaze and add it only just before serving.
2. You can also use instant coffee powder instead of espresso. Just mix the powder in 1 tbsp of hot water.
3. You can also replace half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
4. Oven timings will vary accordingly.
This is off to Avant garde Cookies