The month of August happens to be the holy month for fasting. The fasting is followed by feasting and during this period of fasting, we take food that is not only nutritious but also which gives us strength to undergo the fasting to build up our stamina. Easy appetizers / starters are made to enjoy when the time comes to break the fasting. So this month we shall concentrate on some easy and lip smacking Starters / Appetizers.
Now to some rules to participate in this event:
- Cook and post a recipe in your blog pertaining to the theme with a link to this announcement.
- Your recipe can be of any cuisine and follow any method of cooking.
- Only vegetarian recipes, eggs are allowed of course. Please avoid linking recipes with meat.
- We are looking for fresh entries and to try out new recipes. So, no archived or reposed entries please. Your post has to be between August 1 and August 31, 2012.
- Multiple entries are welcome and linking back to this announcement is a must.
- Usage of logo is optional but I would be happy if you could use it, as it helps spread word.
- After posting your recipe just submit your entry to the linkies you will find at the bottom of this post.
- In case you have any problem linking, then send a mail to email@example.com with your name, recipe name and recipe url with the subject line as Let's Cook: Starters / Appetizers.
- Non bloggers are most welcome to participate. Just send me the recipe with a click of the recipe if possible to the above mentioned email.
This linky list is now closed.
We have Mona Jain's Pin Wheel Sandwiches, which happen to be a big hit in her family.
6 Bread Slices
2 medium sized potatoes (Boiled and grated)
2 garlic cloves (grated)
1 small onion (grated)
1 green chili (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
1. Take oil in a pan and heat it, when the oil is hot add grated onions and sauté for 2 min. Add the grated garlic and green chili and sauté till the onion turns golden brown.
2. Add the grated potatoes, salt and mix well. Cook for 2 min and let the mixture cool.
3. Cut the corners of the bread slices.
4. Take a deep pan and fill it with ¼ cup water and place a filter pan on top of it and steam the breads. 2 at a time. Make sure that the water should not touch the bread slices. Steam for 2-3 min turning in between.
5. Take the 2 bread slices and stick the edges with the help of a rolling pin.
6. Take the 3rd bread and stick it to the second bread slice.
7. Now starting from left. Apply 1tsp of green chutney on the first bread slice, 2 tsp of potato stuffing on the 2nd bread slices and 1 tsp of tomato ketchup on the 3rd slice.
8. Roll the bread slices starting from left and immediately wrap it into a cling wrap.
9. Repeat the same procedure with the other bread slices.
10. Now keep the rolled bread slices in the fridge for 30 - 40 min.
11. Pre heat the oven at 180* for 10 min
12. In the mean time take out the rolled bread slices and cut them into 1 inch thick slices.
13. Place them onto a greased tray and bake them for 20 min at 200*
14. Serve hot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Note : If you want to make the Pin Wheel sandwich colorful you can add a bit of yellow color to the potato stuffing.
Vegetarian Shammi Kababs by Dr. Sudha Agarwal
1/2cup whole masoor
2tbsp channa dal
1/4cup soya granules
1medium size onion roughly cut
5cloves of garlic
3/4"piece of gingerchopped
1tsp.coriander seeds/ powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon/ 1tbsp.anardana
2 tbsp.Roasted channa powderd
Salt to taste
Oil for shallow fry
Ingredients for filling-
1onion ,1green chilli,small piece of ginger,few leaves of fresh mint and coriande,all finely chopped and mixed together
Soak dals in water ifor 2-3 hours and drain.Soak soya granules in water for 15-20 minutes,squeeze them tightly.Boil all ingredients in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water for7-8 minutes after whistle keeping the flame on low/medium.The dal mixture should be soft and almost dry.Remove the peel of cardmom.Let it cool for 15 minutes and grind it to smooth texture.Mix roasted channa powder,lemon juice and adjust salt.Divide it in lemon sized balls,flatten them slightly,put a little filling in the centre and shape them into kababs.Shallow fry them on medium flame till nicely done.Serve hot with green coriander and mint chutney and onion rings.
1. If you wish you can deep fry these kababs but add 2 bread slices soaked in water and squeezed tightly.
2. Don't keep the mixture too dry if you are shallow frying the kababs.
3. Sorry,I am not able to send the pictures right now as I read this information just now,but rest assured that you will like this vegetarian starter.So pl.do try it and enjoy!