Carrot Almond Salad

Carrot Almond Salad

 

I’m not a salad person in fact had never been one. Though I refuse to say that I hate them, as I believe that one can hate something only when one has tried it out at least a few times to come to that conclusion when it has not worked out in favor or as per the taste. But I have never went out of my way to make it specially and enjoy them. Of course I do make a curd raita while I make biryanis or pulaos and also sundals very often if they come under salads. So this month, We, The Gourmet Seven chose to tread down the path not taken frequently, the Salads.

 

 

We the G7 decided to pay the 101 cookbooks a visit and I chose this simple salad, as I wanted to initiate my kids into salads and make them enjoy it. As this salad had all the ingredients that are liked by my kids unanimously, I can say that it was an instant hit and loved watching them enjoy. I tweaked it according to my taste. The original recipe had asparagus in it. As I do not get it here, I replaced with my favorite veggie cucumber. Myself and kids in the end have to decided to choose and make a salad at least once a fortnight from now on. I’m sure you will love this tweaked version which tasted sweet, sour and mildly hot all at the same time.

 

nj 014

 

Carrot Almond Salad

You’ll need:

 

 

Method:

Slice the carrots and cucumber into bite sized length wise pieces. Bring a pan with 1/2 cup of water to boil. Add salt to the water and place the carrots and cucumber in it and close with a lid. Let it rest for 2-3 mins. Drain over a colander and wash with cool water to stop further cooking. The veggies have to be crunchy and stiff. Let it air dry.

 

Heat a pan with 2 tsp of olive oil. Add the almonds and season with salt. Keep tossing till it gets roasted well. In a bowl add honey, lemon juice, grated ginger, salt, pepper powder, remaining olive oil and whisk them well together.

 

Now to this add the par boiled carrots and cucumber, black grapes, coriander leaves, almonds and toss well. Serve immediately.

 

 

Notes:

 

  • If you could get hold of baby carrots, use them instead. I’m sure it will taste great.
  • Using honey is optional. Skip it, if you do not want the salad tasting sweet.
  • Instead of black grapes, you can also add pomegranate pearls.
  • If you do not want the ginger pieces around in your mouth, add 1/2 tsp of ginger paste instead.
  • The vegetables have to maintain their shape and remain crunchy. So do not let them over stay in the hot water.

Labels: , , ,