Pachcha Thakkalikkai Paruppu

Pachcha Thakkalikkai Paruppu

I very rarely get raw green tomatoes at my place and when I saw them in the market last week, driven by pure impulse bought some. I distinctly remember my Grandmother making this dal for lunch from freshly picked tomatoes from her background patch where she grew few tomato plants. After marriage my MIL used to make this as she gets these green tomatoes at her place and she also gets to pick them from her own garden too. But these simple pleasures are out of reach for me living in the city surrounded by noise and pollution.

 

 

I was very skeptical of whether the others at home would like this dal when I made them, but I need not have worried at all as it was completely polished off by everyone. Arun even had this dal with rotis. I think he loved the tangy taste of this dal combined with the spiciness. These tomatoes make a nice variation from the regular vegetables that we use daily. Now off to the recipe....

 

Paccha Thakkalikkai Paruppu (Raw Green Tomato Dal)

(Print this Recipe)

You’ll need:

 

Method:

Wash and soak the toor dal for 10 min. Pressure cook with enough water and turmeric powder till soft. Mash lightly. Chop the onion, green chillies and tomatoes finely.

 

Heat a kadai with oil. Add mustard seeds, once they splutter add the urad dal and roast till golden brown. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté till the onions change to translucent. Now add the green chillies, curry leaves and tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes become a bit soft.

 

Now add the mashed toor dal, enough water to the consistency you prefer, salt, sambar powder and mix well. Cook over medium flame for 5-6 min or till the raw smell disappears. Mix in between to prevent the dal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

 

Finally add the black pepper powder, chopped coriander leaves and cook further for a minute. Switch off stove and let it rest for 2 min with the lid closed for the pepper flavor to get imbibed with the dal.

 

Serve hot with steaming rice with a liberal dose of ghee or you can cook it a bit thick and serve as an accompaniment with sambar rice as a kootu.

 

Notes:

Labels: , , ,