Chilli Bread / Bread Masala from Homemade Bread

Chilli Bread

I tried making this Chilli Bread at home from scratch last week end and it turned out to be a much loved evening snack by all of us. I had seen this being served in the bakery that I frequent and it sells like hot cakes off the shelves. When I purchased during my last visit to find out how it tasted, I loved it very much and the kids too. They were asking me to buy it daily. But I was sure that it could be made at home itself from scratch and set about doing just that last Sunday. It was finger licking good and I’m so glad that I was able to match up to the bakery’s taste.



I made this Christmas day too when we had some friends for lunch. Even they too loved it and mentioned that it was quite difficult to believe that it was made in home. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I feel so happy that another of my experiments turned out just great without any hiccups.


Chilli Bread / Bread Masala from Homemade Bread

(Print this Recipe)
You’ll need:
For the bread chunks:
For the Masala:


Method:
For the Bread:
In a mixing bowl place all purpose flour, salt, sugar and yeast together. Add butter (softened to room temperature) and crumble with your finger tips and rub into the flour till it resemble bread crumbs. Add warm milk little by little and knead into a dough.

Place the dough in a greased bowl and close it with a damp cloth. Let it rest for 2 hours. Punch the dough to let the air out. Grease a plate (a “thambaalam” will be perfect) and keep it ready. Pinch bite sized flour (chunks) with your fingers and place it on the plate. (Refer the picture below). Cover the plate with a cloth and let it rest for 1/2 hour again.
JUJU 021

Heat oil in a kadai and when it is hot enough drop the risen chunks into the oil till the kadai will hold and deep fry to a golden brown color. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep it aside.

For the Masala:
Chop the onion and tomatoes finely. Cube the capsicum. Heat a kadai with oil. Add the onion and sauté till it turns translucent. Now add the capsicum and sauté for another min.

Add the tomatoes, red chili powder, tomato sauce and cook for 2 min. Add chili sauce, soy sauce, aji-no-moto, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.

Now add the deep fried bread chunks to the masala, mix well and cook for 5 min till they all come together and the sauce thickens well. Garnish with finely chopped greens of the spring onion and serve piping hot.


Notes:



This is off to my event “Winter Carnival” , Amy’s Food of the month – Party Ideas and Nupur’s New Year-New Dish

Labels: , , , , ,