Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

As everyone says “It’s all in your mind”, I think I have convinced myself to accept that Eggs are vegetarian at least for my son’s sake. I’m a hard core vegetarian who had been brought up without eating eggs and that it is a non-vegetarian food being drummed into my mind right from childhood, it is very difficult to come out of that belief. Finally I decided that my son’s health is more important than my own belief and aversion. Arjun turned 10 this year and weighs just 20 kgs. After he started showing an interest in food we both carefully planned and were even successful in increasing his weight from 17 kgs to 20 over the last year. Unfortunately during the recent illness he lost a kg. Never had a single kg mattered to me so much as it does now.

mk 004

As per the Doc’s instructions, I have to give him 2 eggs per day, I cannot keep on giving him boiled eggs for breakfast which actually bored him. What all we as parent have to do to make food more interesting to the kids? Anyway, I have started to look for recipes that has eggs in them which are easy to make and less messy which might put me off eggs permanently. Btw, did I tell you about the new addition to my kitchen. It is a belated birthday present from H and the boys that I got last month. Here it is.

lm 021

When everyone tries to adapt any cake to a chocolate cake and one with the eggs to an eggless one, I adapted this eggless chocolate banana cake from Tarla Dalal’s “The Chocolate Book” to a cake with eggs. This is my first cake to be tried with this new toy. For the Eggless version see the notes section at the bottom. It has been a long time since I posted any baked recipes owing to the festival season. Also as today is a special day – 11/11/11, an occurrence once in 100 years which I’m sure I would never live to see it again thought of posting this to mark the occasion. Enjoy the day friends.

mk 010

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

(Print this Recipe)

You’ll need:


mk 006

Method:

Sieve together flour and baking soda. Mash the bananas well and keep aside. Grease a baking tray with butter and dust it with flour and keep it ready. Pre heat the oven @ 180 C (360 F).

In a bowl beat together butter and castor sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat again till frothy. Now gradually add flour mixture, mashed bananas, vanilla essence and mix to make a smooth batter.

Finally fold in chocolate chips. Pour into the greased tray and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. It looked like this.

mk 001

Bake for 30-35 minutes @ 180 C. Check if done by inserting a knife or skewer in the middle. If it comes out clean your cake is done. The banana smell was so heavenly while the cake was getting baked.

mk 002

This is how it looked when I took it out of the oven. Cool to room temperature and Slice into pieces and Serve. Best eaten when it is warm.

Notes:

  • Just add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients to make into a chocolate banana cake while omitting the chocolate chips.
    Mine took exactly 40 minutes to get baked. Oven timings may vary accordingly.
  • You can also add tutti fruti instead of chocolate chips.
  • You can also make them into cup cakes.
    Reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup and add 1/2 cup of condensed milk and 3/4 cup of cream while omitting the eggs to convert this cake to an Eggless one.
This is off to Vardhini's Bake Fest

Labels: , , , , ,