Sundaikkai Masaal Vadai / Turkey Berry Channa Dal Fritters

Sundakkai Masala Vadai

I almost forgot that I know this dish. Yes, you heard it right. It has been many years since I made this as the boys are not so enthusiastic about eating Sundaikkai. But thanks to Amma I remembered it. When I came to know that my DH’s Uncle and Aunt are visiting us from the village, I had to ring Amma to discuss the menu. The reason is that they do not prefer the so called English vegetables but cook and eat only that are grown in their fields.

3

They are known for their hospitality and whenever I visit them they treat like their own daughter and make me feel so much at home. As they are into farming they very rarely visit other places let alone leave the village they reside. This is the first time they are visiting us in all these years and I wanted to return their hospitality with grace and decided to make some dishes featuring the country vegetables and this is one such recipe recommended by my Amma.

 

The Uncle has a medical condition and they Doctors in their town had recommended one in Chennai for consultation. Hence Uncle and Aunt visited us. Though they both loved the dishes I made very much, they both were unanimously steadfast in their hatred for the city.  They hated the hustle and bustle of the city and just could not wait to get back to their village. Not that I blame them. I just pray to God that Uncle gets well soon.

 

4

Sundaikkai Masaal Vadai 

(Printable Recipe)

You’ll need:

Sundakkai / Turkey Berry

-

1/2 cup

Channa Dal

-

1 cup

Sambar Onions / Shallots

-

1/2 cup

Green Chillies

-

2

Dry Whole red chillies

-

2

Garlic, crushed

-

6

Fennel seeds

-

1/2 tsp

Curry Leaves

-

1 sprig

Coriander leaves

-

1/4 cup

Salt

-

To taste

Oil

-

For deep frying

 

2

Method:

 

ko 038

Soak the Channa dal for 1 hour. Drain the water. Keep 3 tbsp aside and grind the rest in a mixie to a coarse paste without adding water.

 

ko 035

Grind the sundaikkai to a coarse paste and add it the channa dal paste. Again grind together fennel seeds, green chillies, dry chilllies together in the same mixie without adding water and add it to the dal and sundaikkai paste. Mix well.

 

To this paste add the kept aside soaked channa dal, finely chopped sambar onion, crushed garlic, chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves and salt and mix well. Make small balls the size of lemons and keep aside.

 

Heat oil in a kadai. Slightly flatten the balls between your palms and slip them one by one into the hot oil. When cooked drain on an absorbent paper.

 

Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.

 

Labels: , , , , ,