Happy Navarathri wishes to everyone. May the Goddess bring you health and wealth and fill your home with happiness. Today being the 9th day of the Navarathri holds a very special place. Do you know that? It is said that if you are unable to worship the Goddess during the 8 days due to some unfortunate reason, it is enough if you pray on this day to get the goodness of all these days.
In my home we usually do not offer sundals with coconut for neiveidhyams. So I usually make 2 versions and this tangy version of the sundal is much loved by everyone as it creates a magic of the sundals had in the beaches.
Kadalai Paruppu Sundal
|Kadalai Paruppu / Channa Dal ||- ||1 cup|
|Green Chillies ||- ||4|
|Mustard ||- ||1/4 tsp|
|Urad Dal ||- ||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaf ||- ||1 sprig|
|Lemon Juice ||- ||2 tbsp|
|Salt ||- ||to taste|
|Oil ||- ||1 tsp|
Wash and soak the kadalai paruppu / channa dal for 2 hours. Pressure cook the dal with a pinch of salt and just enough water for 1 whistle. Drain the water and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai. Add Mustard seeds and let it splutter. now add urad dal, finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, cooked dal, salt and cook till dry.
Switch off the stove. Add lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot.
- The dal should be soft when pressed between the fingers.
- Do not cook the dal till it gets mushy. It should retain the shape.
- To perfectly pressure cook the dal place the dal in the pressure cooker, Add water till the dal gets covered. Place it on the big burner and cook for 1 whistle.
- You can garnish with grated coconut in the end before serving.
- Add the lemon juice after taking off the stove else the sundal will taste bitter.
This is off to Suma's MLLA - 40
, a brainchild of Susan
Labels: Dal Recipes, Neiveidhyam, Snacks, Sundal Varieties