Peas Chaat ~ Beach Style | Gravy Version




peas chaat 
First of all let me tell you that this is not the usual Pattani Sundal that we get to eat in the beaches. During the summer holidays when my SIL’s family came to visit us, we all had an opportunity to visit the beach and that is where I came across this chaat. My kids loved it so much and pestering their dear Daddy to take them to the beach just to enjoy this chaat.


pc2
Though I feel that Chaats are really good and filling for the kids, I don’t approve my children eating outside home considering the hygienic conditions. After shifting my residence every one in the family took one day off to fall sick and recuperate because of a water borne illness. I did not want them to face the same health problems again. So I decided to give it a try at home itself but for one main issue.

pc7
I had no idea what constituted the gravy part though I could make out the other ingredients. My imagination refused to back me up in this regard. So I had to call my SIL for some inputs and she did not fail me in that regard. Tried out an idea of hers and well it was not up to the markSad smile. My children were very quick to point out that it was not the same. Something was either wrong or missing. After 2 days of pondering an idea struck and I decided to follow it. I was not wrong this time and Yup I hit upon the exact ingredient that went into the making of gravy High five.

pc4


Peas Chaat ~ Beach Style
You'll need:


Dried Green Peas
1 cup
Onion
2
Tomato
3
Red Chilli Powder
2 tsp
Besan (Kadalai Maavu)
1 tsp
Water
2 cups
Chaat Masala
To taste
Salt
To taste
Oil
2 tsp



For Garnishing:

Finely Chopped Onions
Grated Raw Mango
Finely chopped Coriander
Few drops of lemon juice (optional)
A dash of Black salt (optional)


pc3
Method:
Soak the peas for at least 4 hours and pressure cook them with a pinch of salt till soft. Puree the tomatoes and keep it ready. Add little water to the besan and make into a paste without any lumps. Pour the remaining water and mix well.


Heat the oil in a kadai and add onions. Sauté till they are translucent and now add the tomato puree and cook for a minute. Add red chilli powder and mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes.

Now add the cooked peas, salt and the liquid besan mixture and cook over low flame till the raw smell of the besan disappears. Keep stirring in between as the besan might settle in the bottom and start to burn.


At this stage you can see the thickening of the chaat with a saucy look. Take off the stove. Sprinkle chaat masala and mix well.


pc5
To Serve:
Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle grated mango, finely chopped coriander leaves and top it with chopped onions. Squeeze lemon juice for the tangy taste and punch.


Notes:


To Avoid over cooking peas: Place the soaked peas in pressure cooker. Add enough water just to cover them fully.  Place the cooker in the large burner and simmer it completely. Cook for one whistle. You will get perfectly cooked peas without their skins coming off.
You can see that I have not added chopped onions for garnish as my kids don’t like the raw onion smell in their breadth. But do add them for the perfect taste.
You can also add the cooked water from peas while adding water for making the chaat.
You can also use fresh peas or dried snow peas.

pc6
This chaat is off to Let’s Cook: School Break-Time Snacks, Healthy Snacks, Cook it healthy - Proteinicious, Any one can cook






Labels: , , ,