Butter Cookies

c-1

I distinctly remember my grandmother cultivating in me the habit of munching on cookies with milk on mornings and evenings when I was a child. It is one of the sweet moments that I would never ever wish to forget in my life.


I especially love the evening times as I would sit on the steps leading from the kitchen to the backyard with a cup of warm cow’s milk along with some very huge butter cookies breathing in the scents of all the flowers. It is a very unique scent that is very hard to fathom with all the scents vying for your attention.

c-2

There will be jasmine blooms in the creepers leading to the terrace, spreading its scent shamelessly in all its glory, Andhi Malli, Neem flowers, flowers from the Drumstick tree surrounding our house, not to mention the blooms of the Avarakkai creepers with the bees buzzing over them.

I yearn for those lazy but memorable and totally enjoyable summer holidays. It sometimes saddens me that my own kids don’t get to enjoy such life’s simple pleasures often. Now coming to those memorable cookies……..

c-3
Butter Cookies
You’ll need:


All Purpose Flour
1 cup
Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup
Butter
1/2 cup
Sugar
1/2 cup
Egg
1
Salt
2 pinch
Vanilla Essence
1 tsp


c-5

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F). Grease an oven proof plate with butter and keep it ready. Sieve together the flours and salt.


In a large bowl, beat together the butter and white sugar until it turns creamy, light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then add the vanilla essence. Give it a stir. Now start adding the flour mixture little by little into the sugar mixture.


Mix it till a soft dough forms. It might be a bit sticky. Cover this dough in a butter paper and refrigerate for at least an hour.


Cut out the chilled dough with cookie cutters onto the greased plate.Bake for 12 to 15 mins in the preheated oven or till done. Remove from plate to cool on wire racks. Once cooled down completely, store in an airtight container and enjoy with your hot cup of tea or coffee.


C-6
Notes:



I used my coffee decoction filter’s lid as a cutter to get big sized cookies.

You can skip wheat flour and use All purpose flour or vice versa.

If the dough is still sticky after chilled use some more flour for dusting while shaping them.



C-7
This is off to my Let’s Cook: School Break-Time Snacks and to Only Baked.






Labels: , , ,