Rava Semiya Idli


This is a very quick recipe which has given me a helping hand when I am running out of time and you can do it in a jiffy without breaking a sweat.

The first time I had these was at my friend’s place when her mother served them to me. That was the first time I saw Semiya in the idlis. Intrigued I asked her the recipe and she was kind enough to give it to me.

I have made these umpteen number of times and what more my MIL loves this very much and after she had these at mine it has become a regular at her place now-a-days.


Rava Semiya Idli
You’ll Need:

Rava / Sooji
1/2 cup
Semiya / Vermicelli
1/2 cup
Yogurt / Curd
1 cup
Grated coconut (optional)
1/4 cup
Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp
Channa dal
1/2 tsp
Green chillies
2
Curry leaves
Few
Coriander leaves
1 tbsp
Salt
To taste
Oil
1 tbsp



Method:
Heat a kadai and dry roast rava over low flame till the raw smell disappears taking care not to burn them in the process and keep aside. Dry roast semiya separately to a golden color and keep aside.

Heat oil in the same kadai. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle,  now add channa dal, finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves and cook for a minute. Take off the flame and add grated coconut. Mix well.


In a bowl mix together the dry roasted rava and semiya. To this add the tempering, curd and salt. Mix well to an idli batter consistency and keep for 10 to 15 minutes.

Prepare an idli mould by smearing little oil and heat the idli pan with some water. Pour the batter into the idli moulds and steam cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Serve hot with coconut chutney.



Notes:

You will get 8 idlis of the size shown in the picture.

If you have access to roasted sooji and vermicelli packets you can skip the roasting process.

You can also use small cups instead of same old idli moulds.

This is off to my CBB Series ~ Evening Tiffin and to Srivalli's Breakfast Mela










Labels: ,