Banana Nut Muffins

My search for muffins liners stops right here. Yup I bought some silicone muffin cups this weekend and also managed to bake these yummy banana muffins immediately too.

I chanced upon this recipe in the Prevention Magazine, when I was waiting in the Doctor's reception during my MIL's check-up. It was about how to make nutritious muffins while making at home but the taste being better than the store bought ones.Though I had made this muffins several times I liked this one very much when compared the older ones.  

Arjun hates eating bananas in spite of the Doctor's orders to have them more during the summer time. So I always have to think of ways to incorporate them without his knowledge. This also happens to be the first time I baking using Palm Sugar and was apparently quite thrilled about the outcome and taste.


Banana Nut Muffins
You'll Need: 
All Purpose Flour
1 ½ cup
Palm sugar, packed
1/2 cup
Baking powder
1 tsp
Baking soda
1/2 tsp
Salt
1/4 tsp
Ripe Banana, mashed
1 cup
Egg, Large
1
Buttermilk
1/4 cup
Olive oil
2 tbsp
Vegetable oil
2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence
1 tsp
Walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp


Method:

Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.


Mix mashed banana, egg, oils, butter milk and vanilla essence in a large bowl until smooth.

Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until well blended. Add the 1/3 cup walnuts and mix thoroughly. Fill muffin cups ¾ fill. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp of walnuts over the top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes and cool. Serve warm. They were so soft and moist. These muffins frost very well and my kids were happy to have with a glass of milk for their breakfast.
 I had just 6 muffin cups but had some more batter left over so I baked them into a cake.

Note: You can substitute palm sugar with brown sugar of plain sugar. You can also replace olive oil with vegetable oil or butter.  Be sure to buy a good quality of palm sugar as some may have impurities.

This is a good way of introducing my kids to olive oil as the portion is an individual one. I could not detect the smell of it and they loved it very much.

I used 2 morris variety banana and ran it in a mixie to a paste instead of mashing it with a ladle to avoid detection of Banana by Arjun.


This Banana Nut Muffins  and Mom's Sweet Muffins are off to Divya's Show Me your Muffins

Bon Appetit!!!

Labels: , , , ,