Garlic Bread Rolls

The very word Yeast is enough to scare me off from trying out a new recipe. I have heard many stories of people messing up big time with yeast and I think it only made me more adamant to try out anything that contained yeast in it.

But after seeing so many of these yummy looking rolls in the blogging world posted by the fellow bloggers I was really bit by it. So I mustered enough courage to try my hand at the bread rolls. If I did mess up I could always feed it to my neighbor’s dog (Hee Hee!!!!) of course wishing he would not take his revenge on me during my next visit.


Here is the recipe which is adapted from Nags Blog and a lot of inputs and thoughtful points by my mother’s neighbor who happens to be an expert in baking. Thanks to both of them that my first experience was so wonderful and a huge success.

Garlic Bread Rolls

You’ll need:
For the Dough:
All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
Warm Water- 1/2 cup
Yeast - 1/2 tbsp
Salt - 1tsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp 
Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 2 tsp (optional)
For the Garlic Butter:
Salted butter, at room temperature – 50 gms
Minced garlic – 4 cloves
Chopped coriander leaves & mint - 2 tbsp
Pepper powder – 2 pinch


Method:

To make the dough:

Heat 3 tbsp of water in microwave and to it add yeast and sugar. Mix it well and put the cup back in the microwave. The warmth and darkness activates the yeast quicker and it will become frothy.

Add this frothy yeast mix to the dough. Add salt, ½ tbsp of oil and mix and knead into soft elastic dough using warm water. Oil the surface of the dough and a vessel before placing the dough in it. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep the vessel again in the oven. Let it double in its size. Mine took just ½  hour to rise well.

For the Garlic butter : Just mix all the ingredients mentioned under For the garlic butter and keep aside.

How to proceed to make the Rolls:-

Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees. Grease a baking tin with oil and keep it ready.

Punch the dough to release the air and knead it again with greased hands. Divide the dough into two portions. Keep one portion of the dough on a floured surface and roll gently into a rough rectangle with 1/2" thickness. If sticky apply little flour. Spread about half the garlic butter and start rolling from one end to the other gently but firmly and cut at equal intervals. Do the same to the other portion too.

Arrange the rolls in the pan leaving enough space between them. Let it rest again for another 15 min to rise again. Brush melted butter on top and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

Bake at 180C / 375F for 30 mins. Mine got done in just 20 min. Insert a toothpick to check the doneness.

I served mine hot with tomato sauce. My children loved them so much. They were so soft and so easy to pull apart that I had to pinch myself that I had done this very correctly the first time itself. Hooray....

Note: The recipe called for olive oil but I was doubtful if my kids would love the flavor so went ahead and used vegetable oil. They still came out well.


I am sending these rolls to Blogger's Marathon - Nags of Cooking & Me hosted by Jayasri Ravi

and to my own event, the CBB Series ~ Celebrating Bloggers and Blogging 

Enjoy!!!



Labels: , , , , ,