Orange N Chocolate Malai Cake


This is my first baked cake and guess what, it came out well better than I hoped. It felt good about baking biscuits as they all came out very good. But I was very nervous about baking a cake. It felt like rocket science for a novice like me. When ever my kids asked me to bake a cake I would tell them the excuse that I am still in the learning process and I did not want to fail the first time itself.


Arjun, last week lost his patience and demanded to bake one right away and I was about to open my mouth to give a reply when he smartly replied “ Mom, you can’t always keep on studying. You’ve got to write the exam some day. Atleast we get to know the result and could try to be good the next time”. Well, I couldn’t argue with his reasoning as the smart pant was right. So this is the cake that I baked.


The aroma of orange was all over our home that my neighbor came knocking. Hope you will also try out this and enjoy like we did.


You'll Need:


All purpose flour – 1 cup

Baking powder – 1 ½ tsp

Powdered sugar – 1 cup

Cream (Malai) – 1 cup

Orange zest – 2 tsp

Cocoa powder – 1 tsp

Eggs – 4


Method:


Preheat the oven at 200 degrees C. Beat the eggs well separately. Sieve flour with the baking powder atleast twice together. Whisk the cream well. Prepare a baking tray by greasing with butter and dusting with flour.


In a vessel combine the sugar and beaten eggs and blend well till the sugar dissolves completely. Now add the sieved flour and baking powder little by little and blend well. There should not be any lumps. Add the cream now and blend again without forming any lumps.


Divide the batter into two portions. To one portion add the orange zest and mix well. To the other portion add the cocoa powder and mix well till it dissolves well in the batter.


In the prepared baking tray first pour the cake batter with the orange zest and on top pour the chocolate batter. Transfer the tray to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. When done cool over a rack and store it an air tight container and serve with cream.

Labels: , , , ,