Today’s recipe is Peas Pulao which makes a perfect lunch box recipe both for kids and adults alike. The rice is mildly spiced and flavored with whole spices that makes it more aromatic. It is the most simplest of one pot meals and you can pack it with any dry or gravy side dish. You can use either fresh green peas or frozen peas from the supermarkets. I make it both in a pressure cooker or an electric rice cooker and it comes out perfect every time.
The peas season is in full swing now and I am not to miss out on the opportunity. Though we have an option of using frozen peas and dried peas during the off season nothing beats it like using fresh green peas while making pulao. I just love the smell of them while taking them away from their pods. Arjun loves separating them from their pods and makes it his prime duty to do away with them immediately after reaching home from the market. Here is today’s recipe….
Peas Pulao Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Main
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Freshly shelled green peas – 3/4 cup
- Onion - 1
- Green chilies – 4 to 5
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Star Anise – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash rice and soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop onions into juliennes, mince both ginger and garlic and slit the green chilies and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin seeds and when it sizzles add cinnamon, star anise, cloves, bay leaf and sauté over low flame till the aroma arises.
- Now add minced ginger and garlic and sauté for 10-15 seconds. Add onions, green chilies and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Drain the water from rice completely and add the rice to the pan and mix well gently till the oil and spices coats the rice.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to an electric rice cooker and switch the knob to cook mode.
- Add salt, 2 cups water, give a good mix and close with the lid.
- Once the knob slips to warm mode, gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot with any spicy dry curry. I served it with Spicy Mushroom Fry.
- I made the rice in the electric rice cooker. But you can either make it directly in a pressure cooker or in an open pan.
- I used ordinary plain rice but you can also use basmati rice and it will be even more flavorful.
- You can also add a handful of mint leaves while sauteing the onions to add more flavor.
- Instead of freshly shelled peas, you can also use frozen peas.
Labels: Gluten Free, Lunch Box Recipes, One pot meals, Rice Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Vegetable: Peas