Nan Khatai

I did it. I did it. I finally mustered enough courage to try my hand at baking. Though I wanted to bake a cake the first time, I opted to bake biscuits instead, as they are fool proof and nothing could go wrong with them. I wanted to see my kids reaction and I guess didn’t want to scare them with my baking.


Arjun loves biscuits and it is a must for his evening tea. So I opted to make these famous tea time Indian cookies. How I used to love them, smack my lips and enjoy them while eating them as a kid. I really really hoped that he will also love these light and melting in the mouth irresistible cookies.
NAN KHATAI





Ingredients:


All purpose flour (maida) – 200 gms
Semolina (Suji) – 100 gms
Butter / Ghee / Vegetable oil – 150 gms (I used butter)
Castor Sugar – 150 gms
Curd – 2 tbsp
Green cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Soda – bi – carbonate – ¼ tsp
Milk – 4 to 5 tbsp


Method:






Pre heat the oven at 160 degrees.


Beat butter, sugar and curd together. Sieve flour, semolina, cardamom powder and soda-bi-carbonate in a bowl. Add this to the curd mixture. Add milk and a make a soft dough. Prepare a baking tray by smearing butter all over. Make small balls out of the dough and press the ball slightly to flatten them to give a cookie shape. Place the flattened balls on the tray leaving enough space between them as they swell in size while baking.


Bake at 160 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes on the lower rack. Let it cool on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container. Serve with tea or coffee.


This is off to EC's WYF: Tea Time Snacks
Sara's Cakes and Cookies event

Labels: , , , ,