Semiya / Vermicelli Kesari in Microwave

As a Friday pooja ritual I was racking my brains over what to do and that too in very short time. As our new home has a separate pooja room I bought new framed pictures of Gods and filled up the room. I also let the children to decorate them with flowers and the other arrangements. Earlier it usually used to be store bought sweets or fruits for neiveidhyam, but now I have made it a point to cook something at home itself.


Fridays evenings are always busy for me as after I reach home I have to do the pooja, make prasadam, prepare tea and snacks for the kids, prepare an elaborate dinner as the next day is holiday for the kids and they can go to bed late as they also get to help me in making dinner, do the laundry and ironing of the first 3 or 4 days, prepare a questionnaire of my kids weekly school portions, cut out veggies for the next day, preparing a to do and shopping lists for the next week, scheduling my own studies for the week end as my books have arrived. Thinking back it is always like this.


There were times I had truly wished I had someone to help me out but unfortunately that remains to be a wish only. So coming back to now I had made Dal kheer last Friday and rawa kesari the week before. So this Friday I thought of doing semiya kesari and that too in Microwave as that would be easy and I don’t have to stand near the stove and keep stirring. Since I had not done this earlier in Microwave I was a bit scared to experiment it but it turned out amazingly well. So now for the recipe.


Semiya / Vermicelli Kesari




Ingredients:


Semiya / Vermicelli – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 cup or less
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Broken cashewnuts – 1 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Cardamom powder – 2 pinch
Kesari or red colour – 1 pinch



Method:


In a microwave safe bowl spread 2 tsp ghee and place the semiya in it. Mix it well so that semiya gets coated well with the ghee. Microwave for 1 to 1 ½ min @ high. Mix in between if needed. Keep the roasted semiya separately. Like wise roast the cashews too and keep it aside.


In another microwave safe bowl pou the water and micro @high for 1 minute. Take the bowl out put the sugar, kesari color and roasted semiya. Stir it well. Micro @ high for 2 – 3 minutes till all the water gets absorbed and the semiya is fully cooked. Now add the roasted cashew nuts, cardamom powder and remaining ghee. Mix well and micro @ high for a minute for the flavors to mix well. Leave a standing time of 3 minutes. Serve hot.


Tip: You can also replace 2 cups water with 1 cup milk and 1 cup water.  Check it out give me the feedback.


This is off to Paru who is hosting Microwave easy cooking event this month featuring sweets 'n ' savories a brain child of Srivalli

Labels: , , ,